Volunteering at the CBA Music Camp
● This page refers to the CBA Summer Music Camp that takes place just before the CBA Father's Day Festival. To volunteer at the CBA Father's Day Festival contact Deb Livermore (firstname.lastname@example.org).
● Volunteers need to be 18 years of ago (or older) and members of the California Bluegrass association ($25/yr to join).
● Most volunteers serve as TAs (teacher assistants) in the morning intensive classes; a few are Office Staff or Roustabouts.
NOTE: As of February 15th all volunteer positions are filled for this summer.
Apply early next year!
● You can learn from the teachers you work with, both about teaching and about the material taught.
● You have free time to attend classes in the afternoons, concerts in the evenings, and jam late into the night.
● You are comped into the CBA Father's Day Festival (tenting covered, admission waived).
● TAs need to be proficient on a relevant instrument (possibly voice) and have some experience with teaching.
● TAs need to arrive on site by Noon on Sunday, although arriving earlier to help set up is appreciated.
● TAs keep track of students: Count heads, check name tags against the class list. For any discrepancies, let us know.
● Learn what the instructor needs (get copies, chairs, water, play lead or backup, etc.). Ask us if you need help.
● If the class location is not working out, solve the problem! Move outside or ask about other options.
● During class, watch the students. If you see anyone struggling, do what you can to help them.
● Do what you can to control student talking/noodling in class. The other students will appreciate it!
● You're in charge of your classroom space: arrange the chairs as needed, deal with lost and found items, keep it clean.
● Arrive Sunday morning to prepare to check students in on Sunday afternoon.
● Staff the office, answering questions and coordinating with the directors.
● Help pack up the office on Wednesday
● Retrieve the pop-up shade structures from the storage facility, assemble them, and distribute them on Saturday.
● Reposition the shade structures on Wednesday during the Father's Day Festival changeover.
● Take down and pack up the shade structures at the end of the festival on Sunday.
● Carry a cellphone and make sure that Tina & Peter know the number for unanticipated tasks that arise.
● Help with chairs or other issues as needed.
● Drop by the office from time to time to see how things are going with the directors.
● Host one or more afternoon electives or evening jams.
● Help keep dogs and bicycles out of the fairgrounds during camp.
● Help newcomers adjust to camp, reach out to anyone looking lost and make an effort to include and encourage them in jams
● Possibly be a stage manager or MC for concerts (staff concert, student concert, volunteers concert)
● Possibly help host the Music Store Happy Hour and clean up afterwards
● Publicize the camp to your friends: talk them into coming to camp, too
● Publicize the camp at music stores: we can provide posters and handbills
● Publicize the camp at performances: mention camp at gigs, give out handbills
● Publicize the camp on your website: link to the camp website
● Publicize the camp any way you can: there must be lots of ways we haven't thought of. . .
● Give an instructor or camper a ride from/to the airport or the Bay Area
● Host instructors or campers who need a place to stay the night before or after camp
● And did we mention publicizing the camp? We need more students!
Send email to email@example.com indicating your interest and include all this information:
Please let us know of any interest by the beginning of January. We start selecting the volunteers then and we inform everyone of the results by late January.NOTE: If you send email to us and you have any kind of SPAM email filter, make sure it allows email messages from:
to get through.
|© 2018, CBA Grass Valley Summer Music Camp|